Monday, August 10, 2009

What a day for a daydream







Can you believe it? Look at those babies! They were so little. And so very cute! I guess somethings haven't changed that much. I'm going to kick myself if I can't find the pictures that I'm looking for. Somewhere on this computer, I have pictures of Daniel and David the first day they ever came to our home. These pictures are within the first month or so that they were with us, but I will always remember them as they were that first day. They both had on overalls. They were so tiny and so curious. Brian and I were so nervous and excited and full of anticipation and hope and fear. I found the pictures!



We got the call at the end of July. There was a little guy at the house that I was doing respite for. They called and asked us if we'd be interested in two little boys. A two year old and a three year old. And, of course, we said yes. The first time we went out to meet the boys, we couldn't get past the door. The caseworker had forgotten to let the shelter know we were coming so we were stuck waiting. The next time we went we played with the boys. It was clear how loved they were. The workers at the shelter had cared for our sons like they were their sons. Daniel told Brian as soon as he could, "My mom is sick, but she's going to get better and come get me." I think we should have known we were in trouble at that point.



We went back a week or so later and took the boys to McDonald's. We *really* should have gotten the hint at this point! David climbed straight to the top of the play structure and then started bawling. He could get up, but not down. I scaled that sucker as fast as I could.

I joke that foster care is a lot like child birth.. thankfully you don't really remember how bad it was or you'd never do it again! I know that I was so anxious for them to come to our home. I remember shopping at yard sales before seeing them. I remember just waiting for the phone to ring with an update. The first ride to our home with the boys, I just kept trying to get them to talk.

After a couple weeks, on August 11, 2005, Daniel and David came home.

They didn't sleep through the night. Daniel regressed in his potty training. David would mutter, "stupidhead" to himself all day long. I was working full time still. I swear, Brian didn't eat for at least a week or two. On my first day back to work, I called Jason (Brian's cousin) to come over. He didn't get why Brian would need company until he showed up.. when he got here, one of the kids was standing on the coffee table, the other was hitting the big screen with a matchbox car. Ha!

I don't think that either of us thought it was funny back then.

The first time that I knew that I was mom was when I first took Daniel to day care. I think it was only a day or two after he was placed with us. Daniel wasn't a very emotional kid back then and he kept his distance from me--I was not his mom at that point. Anyhow, I got there and took him into the room and walked out and as soon as I got a couple steps out he started crying.

I cried and sobbed and bawled the whole way to work. I hated that day care for not scooping him up and fixing all of his problems. I had fallen for him, hard.

And, as I wipe away the tears, it's very clear that it wasn't puppy love. Those boys have filled my soul. They made me what I was born to be--a mom. And they made us a family.

Brian and I never knew how good we were together until we became parents. It's our biggest strength as a couple. And we had no clue until we added those little guys to the mix.
















No comments:

Post a Comment